Sunday, November 21, 2010

California Street

We lived in this old two bedroom with a Dick and Jane Bathroom, service porch, LR and DR and a huge backyard.  In the front we had a big porch and down the steps a walnut tree we would climb and throw walnuts to the kids walking by.  I don't know if they knew where they were coming from, but it was fun.  Our next door neighbor was our aunt and uncle and six cousins.  On the other side was a old black couple with a son who had a drinking problem and would periodically be gone on binges.  She was the nicest lady.  We would walk home from school and she'd stop us to give us some homemade oatmeal cookies and cold milk.  Those were the days when it wasn't wrong to go into the neighbors and enjoy their time.  One summer, and they were hot 115 degree summers, we were asleep in our bed (me and my sister), my brother slept in the bed next to us, and the baby in the room with momma and daddy.  Anyway, me and Badoll were asleep with the window open.  During the night she started screaming that someone had reached in and touched her face, by the time daddy had ran into the room through the bathroom, whoever it was, was gone.  I was convinced she was making it up so I told her we could trade tonight, then I could prove she was making it up.  So it's  nighttime and of course she's screaming again.  He had literally reached through the window across my face and touched her again on the face.  When I open my eyes I saw a long skinny black arm across my face and this time daddy made it across the bathroom and grabbed his arm.  It was the neighbors son.  My dad spoke to them,  We never did see him again.  It was very sad for the mom and dad, but we were able to sleep through the night again.

No comments: